Hiring part-time employees contribute to the efficiency and agility of a business. With new labor law reform, here is how you can hire part-time employees for your organization.
Employees in the UAE generally work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. As per labor law, residents and expats can now also work part-time in the UAE. There are temporary or part-time work permits that allow UAE residents to seek job opportunities outside of their regular work.
Employees that work under this contract will be able to switch between companies without the consent of the primary or secondary employer. The purpose of this new system is to improve flexibility in the labor market. It is expected to benefit SMEs and industries with seasonal demands. Companies can now make use of part-time work visa instead of recruiting full-time employees during low periods.“Emiratis, GCC nationals and expats on a work visa can take on a second job after obtaining a part-time work permit from the MoHRE which is valid for one year.”
The part-time visa can be obtained by any UAE resident, whether they are currently employed or not. Anyone on a visit visa or a tourist visa cannot avail this benefit.
Since the validity of the part-time visa is only 6 months, it is suitable for employees whose work will last for 6 months or less.
Workers on this visa cannot exceed 8 hours a day of work and must receive at least one day off per week.
Emiratis, GCC nationals and expats on a work visa can take on a second job after obtaining a part-time work permit from the MoHRE which is valid for one year.
People living in the UAE on a family visa can obtain the part-time work permit with a NOC from the sponsor.
The part-time work permit fees must be borne by the secondary employer which costs AED 100 for the application fees and AED 500 for the approval fee.
It is important to note that the part-time work permits are not available for every employee as these work permits are designed for professionals who are in a specialized profession that require scientific, technical and administrative skills.
The documents needed for the application of the part-time work permit are as follows:
- A copy of both companies’ trade licenses (the current/primary company and the applying/secondary company)
- A color photograph with a white background of the employee
- A copy of the employee’s passport
- If academic qualification is required (post-secondary diploma, university degree or equivalent), a copy thereof which should be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall be attached
- A letter of approval issued by the competent authority shall be attached if so required (doctor, pharmacist, nurse and teacher)
- A copy of the contract
- No objection certificate from the old sponsor/primary sponsor
- A copy of the worker’s visa that includes the sponsor or establishment name that must be valid for more than 6 months
The primary employer is responsible for annual leaves, end of service benefits and other financial obligations in proportion to the number of actual working hours and wages specified in the contract. The law also states that a part-time contract cannot be changed into a full-time one unless it is terminated.
The new laws for part-time work could not have come at a better time. Hiring part-time employees are beneficial as you are able to obtain the required skills even with a limited budget. Not only that but you also improve the agility of your business with flexible work timings from part-time employees.