The UAE is comprised of 7 Emirates and each one has a slight variation when it comes to health insurance. Here are the governing bodies that overlook and regulate health insurance in the UAE.
If you are a resident in the UAE, its important to know the regulatory bodies that govern health insurance in the UAE. The rules and regulations concerning health insurance might be modified or change from time to time and the best way to stay updated is to keep track of which regulatory body you come under the jurisdiction of.
The Insurance Authority (IA) was established under the Federal Law No. 6 of 2007. The law entrusted the Authority to regulate and supervise the insurance sector in the United Arab Emirates in order to
- Ensure constant development in the insurance industry.
- To promote the role of the insurance industry to indemnify persons, property and, liabilities against risks to ultimately protect the national economy.
- Increase the inflow of national savings and invest them back in the country to support economic development in the UAE.
- Provide affordable and good insurance options.
- Instill competition in the insurance sector that is competitive and fair.
Health Authority Abu Dhabi (HAAD)
The Department of Health, Abu Dhabi (HAAD) is the regulatory body of the healthcare sector in the emirate of Abu Dhabi. The vision of the health authority of Abu Dhabi is to have a healthier Abu Dhabi. HAAD aims to provide better access to services and continually improving the quality of care.
- HAAD is responsible for defining the strategy, monitoring and analyzing the health of the population of Abu Dhabi.
- HAAD is determined to increase awareness of adopting a healthy lifestyle in Abu Dhabi that improves the quality of life for every resident.
- Regulates the scope of services, premiums and reimbursement rates.
- Promotes the adoption of world-class service by all healthcare service providers in Abu Dhabi to ensure efficient and quality healthcare.
Dubai Health Authority (DHA)
Formed in 2007, The Dubai Health Authority is a government entity overseeing the healthcare system in the Emirate of Dubai. The DHA aims to make a significant leap in the health industry and establish Dubai as an international medical hub. The DHA has formulated a health strategy aimed at achieving their goals by the year 2021. Here are the main objectives:
- The DHA is currently looking to further foster innovation in the healthcare sector.
- Responsible for directing resources to ensure a healthy and safe environment for the residents of Dubai.
- Establish an efficient decision support system by ensuring integrated data platforms.
- Increase engagement by promoting public and private collaboration in healthcare.
- Position Dubai as a global hub for healthcare by adopting and developing a value-based, comprehensive and high-quality service delivery system.
- Revamp the governance structure of DHA.